Friday, March 23, 2012

National Puppy Day - Purchase or Rescue?



Today is National Puppy day, everyone loves cute puppies we go purchase one bring it home and accept that it is going to pee everywhere and chew up everything. I've been there we purchased a puppy who I wouldn't trade for the world, however the idea of adopting a dog never crossed my mind. Then sitting at hooters I received a phone call from my 15 minutes late I had to do my hair thought we where going somewhere nice not hooters girlfriend. She had found what appeared to be a lab mix by the dumpster ribs showing, collar ingrown, but a sweet dog.

Can we keep it? Was the next question, my thought two college students with two large dogs and an additional vet bill ugh NO. Well I was eventually convinced upon meeting Addie and through the process of adopting Addie she has taught me a lot about life including patience, forgiveness and perseverance. Dogs that have been neglected tend to be more clingy which Addie was however it makes her a good companion. Addie was about nine months when we got her but I still consider her still today a puppy. There are plenty of good dogs at the pound, humane society or other shelters that need a home and even an old dog can be a puppy.

So when you want a dog will you purchase puppy or rescue?




[In future post I will talk about how to get your new dog the things they need without going broke or sacrificing their well being.]

J.Jones 

No comments:

Post a Comment