Monday, June 18, 2012

Fracking Is Safe Right?

Last week the North Carolina house voted to allow fracking for natural gas in the state with approval from the governor. This sounds like a great idea, you know using our own "natural resources right here at home". I mean Exxon commercials provide reassurance or at least I think. Offshore drilling was suppose to be safe but ask the gulf coast how that went.

So I have taken up the interest in educating myself about the process of fracking of natural gas. The more I read the frustration built. The facts are disturbing with the process itself we are essentially poisoning the earth with no repair. Fracking has taken away peoples basic rights of clean safe drinking water along with contributing to health problems. The sad part is it seems like the majority of people don't want fracking so why have our elected officials let down the people again.
Find It On Nextflix
Your sink could become flammable
You could get the chance to hunt, fish, or hike near one of these retention ponds 
Or get to view these beautiful brine tanks
They even come in "emerica" paint

I kinda have a soft spot for these new indie style documentaries and thanks to Netflix I have a few of them to watch, so Sara ordered Gasland (Not available for streaming). This was the other side of fracking, people with sinks on fire, fracking near national parks and more disturbing stories of fracking gone wrong. 
Here is the trailer:
(If you don't read the post at least watch the video) 


Fracking is on the verge of destroying our outdoors and the most important resource...water. I have sent my representatives emails not sure if they will do any good but hey I did what I could. This fracking business will not stop until it ruins drinking water for a major metropolitan area.  

So my challenge is to educate yourself about fracking, choose your side and if your against it do something blog about it, talk to your friends, relatives, and elected political representatives. Depending on your location fracking may take your favorite fishing stream, national park water, or even your homes drinking water. 

J.Jones 











No comments:

Post a Comment